Building & Grounds Maintenance Worker – Job Description
Part Time – Seasonal
REPORTS TO: Building & Grounds Manager
PURPOSE: The Carey Institute for Global Good is dedicated to making a better world by contributing to a strong, educated and just society.
POSITION: The Building & Grounds Maintenance position supports the mission of our organization by providing a safe, secure, and serene environment that hosts guests, staff, and community members.
Note that, pursuant to the Carey Institute’s COVID-19 mitigation protocols, individuals must be fully vaccinated upon commencing employment, subject to legally required exemptions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Delivers exceptional service to all guests and clients of the Institute
- Performs painting of interior and exterior building surfaces
- Mows, trims, edges, fertilizes, and waters parks, playing fields and other landscaped areas; weeds, prunes, mulches, fertilizes, and sprays trees, plants and shrubbery; prepares soil for planting; seeds and re-sods lawn areas; plants trees, seedlings and shrubs
- Inspects assigned areas; corrects or reports safety hazards; cleans and maintains grounds, fields, paved areas and paths; grooms and prepares event sites and other facilities for public use
- Performs snow removal and salting of facilities and access ways
- Operates and maintains a variety of hand and power tools and equipment related to activities
- Observes safe work methods and uses safety equipment; secures worksites from safety hazards as necessary; attends safety meetings
- Responds to questions and complaints from staff and guests; carries out assignments in a non-disruptive manner in areas receiving heavy public use
- Maintains basic records of work performed
- Models diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strives for sustainability efforts in operational excellence
- Other duties as assigned
- Speak, read and write and communicate in a clear and congenial manner with our guests, visitors, and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 100 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Work under stress from contact with public, demanding deadlines and changing priorities and conditions
- Work outdoors and exposed to natural elements
- Understand and adhere to safety standards and practices
- Experience with landscaping, facilities maintenance, and general repair
- Enthusiasm for our beautiful and natural location and organizational mission, and an eagerness to share that with others
- Self-starter with the ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Willing and able to work varying shifts, weekends, evenings, and holidays
- Experience with plumbing, electrical, carpentry, welding, or heavy equipment, a plus
- Experience with historic building preservation, a plus
Pay is $18.00/hour.
In keeping with our mission and values, the Carey Institute is committed to equal employment and volunteer opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, existing military obligations or veteran status.
This policy applies to all areas of employment and volunteer participation, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
If you feel you would be a great fit for the Carey Institute, please email email@example.com
63 Huyck Road, Rensselaerville, New York 12147