Kitchen Utility – Job Description
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef and Sous Chef teams, and is an active member of the Conference Center Hub
PURPOSE: The Carey Institute for Global Good is dedicated to making a better world by contributing to a strong, educated and just society.
POSITION: The Kitchen Utility position supports the food and beverage function of the conference center at the Carey Institute. This is an ideal entry level position for anyone seeking exposure and training in fine dining and gourmet food preparation. The Carey Institute for Global Good prides itself on supporting local employment and vocational opportunities and promotes from within whenever appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Delivers exceptional service to all guests and clients of the Institute
- Washes and sanitizes all dishes, pots and pans, glasses and silverware
- Keeps counters clean and sanitized
- Sweeps and mops all floors
- Assists with helping to keep list of items that need to be ordered
- Helping to keep dry storage room, walk ins and refrigerators as neat as possible
- Helping to prep breakfast, lunch, dinner and weddings if necessary, as instructed by Sous Chef
- Receiving and proper storage of foods being delivered
- Empties garbage, linen baskets and recyclables bins
- Acts as an ambassador of the Institute and it’s programs to professional contacts and community members
- Models diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strives for sustainability efforts in operational excellence
- Other duties as assigned
- Speak, read and write and communicate in a clear and congenial manner with guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Understand and adhere to safety standards and practices.
- Enthusiasm for our beautiful and natural location and organizational mission, and an eagerness to share that with others.
- Passionate about making sure guests have a positive experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced setting without compromising quality results
- Works well under pressure and resolves challenges while calm and professional
- Willing and able to work varying shifts, weekends, evenings and holidays.
In keeping with our mission and values, the Carey Institute is committed to equal employment and volunteer opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, existing military obligations or veteran status.
This policy applies to all areas of employment and volunteer participation, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
If you feel you would be a great fit for the Carey Institute, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the Guggenheim building on campus to complete an application.
63 Huyck Road, Rensselaerville, New York 12147
Phone: 518.797.5100 | Fax: 518.797.3692 | www.careyinstitute.org