Higher Education Instructional Design Consultant
The Carey Institute for Global Good is dedicated to making a better world by contributing to a strong, educated and just society. We advance the work of change makers who seek solutions to local and global challenges, addressing the needs of practitioners.
The mission of the Carey Institute Center for Learning in Practice is to improve professional learning and knowledge sharing in and across civil society organizations through Sustainable Learning programming, research and services.
POSITION OVERVIEW Instructional Designer, Higher Education
You will be working with learning providers around the world, with a range of teaching experience, to help them build courses from the ground up or help them translate their off-line courses into effective, context specific online and blended offerings. You will provide or develop tools and guides that enable them to work effectively online and to engage learners at any level of learning.
You will help shape and build the Center for Learning in Practice instructional design services and break new ground in providing support globally to under-resourced educators. The current project focuses on refugee educators.
You will be an active member on the CLiP team and included in key deliberations about our services.
REPORTS TO: Director of the Center for Learning in Practice
LOCATION Remote (with scheduled face-to-face meetings on campus or elsewhere) or on site at the Carey Institute.
POSITION: The Higher Education Instructional Design Consultant is currently a grant-funded, hourly position, that will work with the Center for Learning in Practice (CLiP) team to design and deliver practice-based learning and technology-enhanced blended learning experiences for CLiP, its clients and partners.
The Instructional Designer will manage the design and development of a portfolio of face-to-face, online and blended courses across a variety of higher education disciplines and audiences. Under the supervision of the Center Director, the Instructional Designer will collaborate closely with and coach clients and partners to clearly articulate the goals, assessments, activity paths, learning objects and content for each new course and learning activity. The Instructional Designer will use the CLiP Sustainable Learning Framework practices and supporting educational technologies needed to effectively execute course mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Course design support, including planning, execution, monitoring and assessment
- Developing and providing training and training guides for practitioners in the use of the platform and selected tools and technologies, including course design and implementation of course elements
- Understanding and managing the design needs, scope, and timeline for all client activities
- Collaborating with platform and webinar support specialists to troubleshoot technical problems and brainstorm creative solutions
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Master’s degree required. Specifically, in instructional design, education technology, adult education, learning science or other related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Must have significant experience in translating content into instructional design content and/or professional development or learning activities for adults (ie teacher training)
- Knowledge of instructional design theories and models, online pedagogy, assessment and learning theories
- Demonstrated experience developing team-based, collaborative and/or project-based courses and curricula
- Demonstrated experience developing face-to-face, online and/or blended programming that creatively leverages new technologies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to define and manage their own work processes towards specified team objectives
- Demonstrated expertise in instructional design software, video editing software and other design tools
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of faculty and staff
- Ability to perform remotely and engage with an international team through digital technologies
- Willingness to travel 5% of the time
- Detailed knowledge and experience with educational technology systems
- Experience with providing training
- Customer service skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong commitment to teamwork
- Troubleshooting/triage skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Experience working with adult learners across cultural, linguistic or country contexts
- Experience teaching face-to-face, online and/or hybrid courses in higher education
- Demonstrated research interest in a field(s) related to education, curriculum and instruction, and/or educational technology
- Conversational and written Arabic or other second language
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings
- A sense of humor
SALARY: Submit your hourly fee as part of your cover letter
In keeping with our mission and values, the Carey Institute is committed to equal employment and volunteer opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, existing military obligations or veteran status.
This policy applies to all areas of employment, contractor, and volunteer participation, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
If you feel you would be a great fit for the Carey Institute and the Center for Learning in Practice, please email your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
63 Huyck Road, Rensselaerville, New York 12147
Phone: 518.797.5100 | Fax: 518.797.3692 | www.careyinstitute.org