Seeking Executive Chef
Job Description |
REPORTS TO: The Executive Chef is part of the Senior Management Team which reports to the President and CEO
PURPOSE:The Carey Institute for Global Good is dedicated to making a better world by contributing to a strong, educated and just society.
POSITION: The Executive Chef is responsible for ensuring all restaurant functions are conducted to full performance; including but not limited to menu design and consultation, inventory and procurement, personnel management and profit and loss performance. Each area of responsibility should reflect the highest professional standard of quality in keeping with both pertinent regulation and the reputation of the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu pricing margins.
- Plans menus for all food and beverage functions throughout the Carey Institute site.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks, and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labor-cost goals.
- Maintains appropriate inventory records.
- Purchasing and approval for products and other necessary food supplies.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Shopping trips and local travel (20 miles) required for item sourcing.
- Interviews, selects, trains, supervises, counsels and disciplines all employees in the department.
- Schedules, trains and develops all kitchen staff.
- Supervises and provides leadership development opportunities for Dining Room Manager position.
- Ensures all services to guests are conducted in a highly professional and efficient manner.
- Ensures a safe working environment and promotes an attitude of accountability on the part of all employees in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings.
- Follows company policy on uniform to promote company’s image, safety and standards.
- Responsible for the monthly department Profit & Loss Statement, including payroll coding and approval, purchasing coding and approval, and margin performance.
- Responsible for adherence to all accounting and billing procedures within the culinary operation.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Prepares for and attends tasting appointments with wedding clients.
- Attends weekly Planning Sheet meeting, as well as regular food and beverage staff and management meetings.
- Consults with the Event Manager and Brewery about food and beverage production aspects of special events being planned.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- In conjunction with Dining Room and Event Management team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
Safety and Cleanliness:
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Conduct monthly inspection on all equipment for function, cleanliness, standards of care.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Completion of formal training at culinary school preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing a culinary team.
- ServeSafe Certificate Preferred
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
Required Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Evenings, weekends and holidays are a regular part of the schedule.
- Candidate should possess good time management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships to work closely with other departments.
- Understand and adhere to safety standards and dietary training practices.
In keeping with our mission and values, the Carey Institute is committed to equal employment and volunteer opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, existing military obligations or veteran status.
This policy applies to all areas of employment and volunteer participation, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
If you feel you would be a great fit for the Carey Institute, please email your resume and/or letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
63 Huyck Road, Rensselaerville, New York 12147
Phone: 518.797.5100 | Fax: 518.797.3692 | www.careyinstitute.org