Hilltowns Alive Presents |
Rensselaerville Ride: Ride the Five!
August 18, 2019 |
RIDE THE FIVE | SHARE THE ROAD
The 2019 Rensselaerville Ride will be a self-supported, non-competitive cycling tour through Rensselaerville’s five historic hamlets. New this year, the ride will feature a “Share the Road” campaign in collaboration with New York Bicycling Coalition to raise awareness about cycling and safe road sharing practices on rural roads. A portion of the proceeds will benefit NYBC. The event starts and ends at Helderberg Brewery Taproom, located at 26 CR 353, Rensselaerville, NY 12147. Activities at the taproom and ride afterparty are open to the public. Food by Kuhar Family Farm Café starts at 12PM and live music by Red Haired Strangers starts at 12:30PM.
Date: Sunday, August 18, 2019
Where: Begin and end at Helderberg Brewery Taproom, 26 County Route 353, Rensselaerville, NY 12147*
Time: Rider sign in begins at 9AM. Event Kick-off with NYBC at 10AM. Rides leave at 10:30AM and 11AM.
Support: Marked routes and three aid stations on route.
After Party: Food, Craft Beer & Live Music at the Taproom. Open to the public.
Cost: $20/$25; Family Ride, Road Safety Lecture, Safety Clinics and Live Music are free. Donations welcome.
Register by clicking here >
*Note: due to a temporary bridge closure in Rensselaerville, you must use alternate routes to get to the taproom. Here is a LOCAL DETOUR to help you get here. You’ll see our signs on the road. It’s about 4.5 miles around.
1) From Route 85, take a RIGHT onto Main Street/CR 351 (or just continue up Main Street if you’re already there).
2) RIGHT onto Pond Hill Road.
3) LEFT onto Bryan Road.
4) LEFT onto CR 353.
5) Continue on CR 353, past the LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY signs.
6) LEFT into Taproom parking lot.
- Ride the Five: 30-mile tour through Rensselaerville’s five hamlets with three aid stations View Route and Elevation
- Ride the Five-Lite: 17-mile loop through hamlets of Rensselaerville and Medusa with two aid stations View Route and Elevation
- Plus, a free, 3-mile free Family Ride View Route and Elevation
JOIN A GROUP RIDE!
Each route will have a ride leader. You can join the group at the start, or ride on your own.
OVERNIGHT LODGING OPTIONS:
VanWinkle Inn in South Westerlo is offering discounted overnight room rates for riders and attendees on Saturday or Sunday. Reservation must be made directly with them for discount. Call 518-966-4100 or visit http://www.thevanwinkleinn.com/
Lodging at Carey Institute available on Sunday evening. Call 518-797-5100 for rates and to make a reservation.
Helderberg Brewery Taproom is located at 26 CR 353, Rensselaerville, NY 12147, next to the Post Office–not at the Carey Institute.
- Due to bridge closure on Country Route 353 in Rensselaerville, there will be a detour to the taproom. We will post alternate directions when available.
- Onsite parking is available, but we do recommend and welcome carpooling.
- There will be three restrooms available.
- Indoor and outdoor seating throughout the day.
- There will be snacks, food and non-alcoholic beverages available.
- Other nearby activities for anyone not riding include: games/coloring inside taproom; hike/walk at the Huyck Preserve (trail head next to taproom); playground located about .5 miles away from taproom; kayaking at Lake Myosotis.
- Cell Phone Service: AT&T service is very limited in the town of Rensselaerville. Verizon service works well across most of the three routes. If it is important for you to have cell service during your ride, please plan accordingly.
9AM – Rider sign-in opens at taproom (coffee & breakfast items available)
10AM – NYBC “Safe Riding/Sharing the Road” Lecture
10:30/11AM – 30-mile and 17-mile rides leaves taproom
11:00AM – FREE bicycle safety clinic to begin
11:30PM – Family Ride leaves taproom
12PM – Kuhar Family Farm Café opens for food (ala carte menu)
12:30PM – Live music by Red Haired Strangers
“SHARE THE ROAD” CAMPAIGN:
Help us bring the message of safe riding and road sharing to the Hilltowns! Our goal is to promote safe riding and road sharing practices on rural roads. New York Bicycling Coalition will offer a Bike Safety Lecture. Informational material will be available to take home as well as special event t-shirts and road signage to promote our message.
Hilltowns Alive is a new agritourism event series brought to you by the Helderberg Brewery and Carey Institute for Global Good in partnership with Discover Albany. Travel locally and experience the small businesses, natural beauty and creative culture of rural Albany County.