Local Resident Gifts Home to the Carey Institute

We are so very grateful to the Ballinger family for their generous gift of their home to the Institute. What a wonderful legacy!

Known as the Hyde House, ca. 1796, it was originally a smaller house that was enlarged by Dr. Isaac Hyde to serve as a home and hospital.  Later it was owned by storekeeper John S. Huyck and then by his son, Francis Conkling Huyck, Sr., who added the large Ionic columns. This is the home where Edmund Niles Huyck and his siblings grew up.  A California descendant of the Niles family, Fred Searls, Jr., owned the house from 1939 to the 1970s when Mrs. Searls gifted it to Union College for summer programs. In the mid-1970s, Anne and Richard Ballinger purchased the house, restored it and lived there until December of this year.

A wonderful history for a wonderful house and a wonderful gift to us.

Are you interested in making a planned gift? Contact Rachael Maddock-Hughes, Director of Strategic Partnerships.